Old April 26th 09, 10:25 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
GlowingBlueMist[_2_]

Default Hardware help on vintage IBM 5110 disk drive

sinoth wrote:
On Apr 26, 12:36 pm, "GlowingBlueMist" wrote:
I don't remember the inside of that model but many drives of those
days used rubber belts between the drive and the spindle. They
stretch and loose the ability to properly drive things with age, let
along being exposed to high temperatures.

I've made two videos showing this drive in operation. The belts seem
fine and not too loose. The first video shows the drive powering on,
and shows that the disk is in fact spinning when inserted.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TEwBo53W8U&fmt=22

This second video shows what happens when I issue a "UTIL VOLID,D80"
command, which should be giving me the disk volume information. The
read head moves for a moment in and then immediately back out, and the
computer shows a "INTR 2 ERR".
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQu8rVysF1w&fmt=22

I agree that the problem is most likely either the drive or the media but I
have seen some of the old motherboards give the same error message if the
motherboard battery is low or dead. It's remote but with a bad battery the
CMOS may not maintain the info needed to properly identify/read the drive.