Old May 30th 05, 03:53 PM
Andrew Clark

Default QuickRestore

Hello,

I was given a presario to use and I want to see if I can get XP on there
so I can use it as my everyday computer. When I try to use "quick"
restore, it gives me error xxx.xx and says I need to contact compaq
(which i WON'T do). The other option is to do a manual reinstall. I've
done this many times but never with this result. I format the drive and
install win95 (that's the only complete OS I have -- all the rest are
upgrades). On the reboot this is what I get:

While initializing device IOS:
Windows protection error. You need to restart your computer.

I've googled for a solution for this to no avail. I have no idea what's
causing this and I would like to figure it out rather than get rid of the
computer. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Andrew