Old June 5th 04, 04:37 AM
Dennis Kessler

"HH" wrote:

If so, disabling Auto-Insert Notification in Device Manager should fix it.
HH

I don't see "Auto-Insert Notification in Device Manager" in the device
manager in the pc that I am sitting next to (not the one with the
problem). Is it on every Windows 98 machine?

-Dennis

"doS" wrote in message
The disk activity may be your cd roms ...Windows checks the cdrom status
regularly...

"Dennis Kessler" wrote in message
How can I stop the mail and constant hard drive activity?

Everytime the Presario 5170, running Windows 98 is booted up, the
computer tries to send an email. I can see this activity on my router's
log file. No mail programs are running. Nothing is queued to be sent.

This began yesterday, (I think, after fiddling with the internet
keyboard buttons). Prior to yesterday, I had the startup configuration
in msconfig, set to not load the Compaq startup software that controls
the keyboard buttons.

Also, I see the hard drive light showing regular activity every several
seconds, no matter how long the computer is idle.

The disk activity is not the fast find program. I have that set to stop.

-Dennis

--
Dennis Kessler
http://denniskessler.com/acupuncture