Old January 11th 04, 10:05 AM
ElJerid

"Bogdan" wrote in message
Hello. I was wondering if it was possible to
OC the following system:

P4 2.8C 800FSB
ASUS P4P800 Deluxe
2X512MB PC3200 Dual Channel RAM

I haven't done any overclocking before but
something tells me any CPU overclocking would
need to have the RAM speed down, no? Thanks.

Why not?
If you want to overclock your system, ou will indeed have to set your DDR
ratio at 5:4 (160 MHz) instead of 1:1 (200 MHz). But this simple setting
will allow you to safely overclock your FSB at up to 250 MHz. At that speed,
your memory will operate at its rated speed of 200 MHz. So it's not "slowed
down", but the global performance of your PC will be significantly increased
with a cpu running at 3,5 GHz!
On top of this, there is a big chance that you could achieve this without
changing voltages or cpu cooler.
There are a few important things to keep in mind in your case:
1. using EZFlash, upgrade first to the latest bios version.
1. set the agp / pci ratios to the fixed value of 66.66/33.33.
2. increase the fsb speed in small steps of 5 MHz and check each time the
stability of your system.