Old August 22nd 04, 12:19 AM
David Maynard

JAD wrote:

the 'proper' way is to use the console.......

Using 'the console' is the 'proper' way to do WHAT?

not to say that what you
do doesn't work. Question: after doing the install your way, have you
looked over the boot log? is it without 'failed to load' lines,
curious is all.

"spodosaurus" wrote in message

maurice wrote:

Ok, two very different opinions here,

JAD "1. after the install of the MB boot with XP CD and do a

repair

install
from the console"

You dont want to go into the console. Just put the hardware

together,

and boot from the XP cdrom. Keep going through the stages as if you

were

going to do a new install. Eventually you'll be asked if you want to
reinstall or repair (not the same as console), and this is what you
want. If you miss it, do NOT format anything :-)

DaveW "2. Unless you replace the motherboard with the EXACT SAME
MOTHERBOARD,
including version, etc., you'll be hosed if you don not reformat

the

harddrive and do a CLEAN install of the OS"

Dave is talking out of his arse, this is not the only way.

Dave, have you had first hand experience with swapping identical

chipset

boards and having to reformat. Do you have reason to believe the

repair

console wont work?

I normally would reformat but the client has had some custom

software

installed which will need to be reconfigured by the vendor if I

have to

reinstall the OS.

Anybody else had good or bad luck with either of these scenarios?

I've done both, both work.

thanks

"maurice" wrote in

message

om.au...

I have have to replace a nvidia chipset mainboard a gigabyte

ga7n400,

with

another mainboard but really dont want to have to do a reinstall

of XP.

Ideally Id replace with the same model but its a very tight

budget (and

very long story!) so I was looking at using another Gigabyte

nforce

chipset

board either the ga7n400L or a new model ga7nf-rz which I can

find no

info

on beyond it uses mcp and spp.

I know the sound will be different(the pro uses the nvidia

soundstorm

chip)

but hopefully this wont be a terminal
problem, its differences in the different flavors of the nforce

chipset

I'm

most concerned about. I was hoping that the core logic for ide

drives

etc

would be close enough not to cause a problem but if the past

history of

this

job has any bearing then I'm screwed!

any thoughts on these issues much appreciated

cheers

Maurice