Old July 17th 20, 12:15 AM posted to alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.sys.intel,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Char Jackson

Default Linux founder tells Intel to stop inventing 'magic instructions' and 'start fixing real problems'

On Thu, 16 Jul 2020 15:22:44 -0500, VanguardLH wrote:

"J. P. Gilliver (John)" wrote:

On Wed, 15 Jul 2020 at 13:42:37, VanguardLH wrote:
Yousuf Khan wrote:

Linus Torvalds' comments came from this article: https://is.gd/6zpZRL

Full URL:
https://www.pcgamer.com/linux-founde...inventing-magi
c-instructions-and-start-fixing-real-problems/#referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fww
w.google.com&amp_tf=From%20%251%24s&ampshare=ht tps%3A%2F%2Fwww.pcgamer.c
om%2Flinux-founder-tells-intel-to-stop-inventing-magic-instructions-and-
start-fixing-real-problems%2F

I'm a little surprised at VLH for the above: surely it's rather _more_
than a Full URL: I think you could truncate it before the # sign. What
follows are "referrer" and "From", with another couple of URLs in there
(with the "://"s and subsequent "/"s turned into their hex equivalents).

is.gd, the URL shortening service that the OP used, does not provide a
preview mode. With TinyURL, you can add the "preview" hostname to see
where shortened URL points.

Well, is.gd does have a preview mode, but it's clumsy. You go to:

https://is.gd/previews.php

click on the "... see preview page ...", leave the web browser open, and
then click on the shortened URL the OP provided. Their page then shows
the full original URL and, yep, it has all that crap in it. Or you can
use on of the URL lengthener sites to reveal the original URL.

I gave the full URL that the *OP* provided with the shortened version.
Complain to the OP about not truncating URLs to their minimum. If he
had, he would not have needed the URL shortening service. The full URL:

https://www.pcgamer.com/linux-founde...real-problems/

is perhaps longer than the typical line length viewed in NNTP clients,
but slicing up URLs that are longer than the logical (viewed) line
length by injecting newlines (slicing URLs into multiple physical lines)
is a defect of the sender's client. Physical lines can be up to 998
characters long (that's the old-time recommendation). Maybe some NNTP
clients have problems when viewing physical line lengths longer than
their viewable line length making the URL not clickable, and why I've
seen some posters enclose the long URL within angle brackets, like
URL, as a workaround for deficient clients.

With some newsreaders, such as my old copy of Agent 2.0, brackets aren't a
workaround for a deficient client. They are simply markers to let the
composition window know that the configured line length value should be
ignored for text between the brackets.