Old July 16th 20, 10:26 PM posted to alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.sys.intel,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
J. P. Gilliver (John)[_3_]

Default Linux founder tells Intel to stop inventing 'magic instructions' and 'start fixing real problems'

On Thu, 16 Jul 2020 at 15:22:44, VanguardLH wrote:
"J. P. Gilliver (John)" wrote:

On Wed, 15 Jul 2020 at 13:42:37, VanguardLH wrote:
Yousuf Khan wrote:

Linus Torvalds' comments came from this article: https://is.gd/6zpZRL

Full URL:
https://www.pcgamer.com/linux-founde...inventing-magi
c-instructions-and-start-fixing-real-problems/#referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fww
w.google.com&amp_tf=From%20%251%24s&ampshare=ht tps%3A%2F%2Fwww.pcgamer.c
om%2Flinux-founder-tells-intel-to-stop-inventing-magic-instructions-and-
start-fixing-real-problems%2F

I'm a little surprised at VLH for the above: surely it's rather _more_
than a Full URL: I think you could truncate it before the # sign. What

[]
I gave the full URL that the *OP* provided with the shortened version.

Fairy nuff.
[]
Tweaking hardware to look good in benchmarks is news to you? Video

[]
Not exclusive to computing hardware of course! The last _big_ one I can
remember is Volkswagen getting _caught_ detecting when their engines

[]
I wonder how a car knows a gas sniffer is poking up its ahole. Oooh,
warm that up first before sticking it in. I suppose the car's computer
could notice the car wheels weren't rotating when the engine got revved
up and the steering wheel wasn't turning.

Could be. If done for a long time, maybe.

My state dropped emissions testing (for consumer vehicles which the
owner had to pay an $8 fee before they could get tabs) a long time ago.

Interesting; I didn't know some states didn't have any limits.
[]
testing despite our state has a green light. Must've been in sub-EPA or
more green-centric states where VW got busted for cheating.

There is a world outside "the states" (-:! Given that that particular
violation was Diesel engines, and I don't think Diesel cars are that
popular in the USA, it might well have first come to light somewhere in
EU. Ironically, the Germans are particularly keen on "green" matters.
(Though are also rather against nuclear, which is again ironic, as a lot
of their coal output is a rather dirty variety.)
--
J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/1985 MB++G()AL-IS-Ch++(p)Ar@T+H+Sh0!:`)DNAf

The death of democracy is not likely to be an assassination from ambush.
It will be a slow extinction from apathy, indifference, and undernourishment.
-Robert Maynard Hutchins, educator (1899-1977)