Old June 24th 03, 09:50 AM
Alien Zord

"fred.do" wrote in message
I intend to buy a "Maxtor Atlas 10k IV 36.7GB U320 SCA" from DABS.com

for
£138 (http://www.dabs.com/products/prod-in...icklinx=2CJKWS)

1) Do Maxtor SCSI hard drives come with a:

a) SCSI PCI Adapter?

b) SCSI Cable?

2) Is the installation of a SCSI hard drive similar to installing an

IDE
hard drive?

3) Can I set the SCSI hard drive as C: drive and connect 2 other IDE

hard
drives to the KT400 motherboard and have them act as D: and E: drives
respectively in Windows XP?

1) No and no

2) You need to set the SCSI ID otherwise the installation is similar to
IDE. As it is SCA drive (Self Contained Adapter, 80 pin connector) and
wide SCSI cables are 68 pin you'll need either an 80 to 68 pin adapter
or a SCA enclosure or rack that generally take between 1 and 5 hard
drives and are expensive, 30 UKP for a single drive draw to 200 UKP for
a hot swap 5 drive module.
See he http://www.acme-technology.co.uk/mobile_rack.htm
As LVD drives usually do not have on-board terminators you will also
need an external one, 15 to 30 UKP.
U320 controller will set you back 300 UKP plus and needs a 64 bit PCI
slot, your mobo does not have that. U160 controllers are 150 to 220 UKP
and fit standard 32 bit PCI slots.

3) Yes

As you can see to fit a single high performance SCSI drive to a desktop
machine is a bad idea. And you would hardly notice any performance
increase over good IDE especially the new SATA drives.