Old September 8th 03, 01:35 AM
Lee Kingston

(Bill Unruh) wrote in
:

pdf is not postscript. It is a different language. A postscript
printer cannot print pdf.

Bill, using Acrobat Reader I have printed VERY simple PDF pages on my
postscript printer, so I know that postscript printers can print PDF.
The pages that have printed have very little content (partial page), and
one or few fonts; (usually text-only, and not much of it).
Unfortunately, those simple pages come along maybe 1 out of 100 pages.
Ninety nine percent of the time I get the print error, so I don't even
try to print unless the page looks extremely simple, and many times that
doesn't work.

What is needed is a translator which will
translate pdf to postscript. There is a program called pdftops, which
can convert pdf to postscript, but that then has to be melded with
your printer program so that it can recognize that what is being asked
for is a pdf file, then send it through the filter to produce the
level 1 postscript. the other problem is that level 1 postscript is a
real memory hog, so the files produced tend to get huge. 2MB of memory
is apt to be too little. Perhaps it is time to get a new printer. 15
years of service from a printer is pretty good.

Yes, I am not surprised with the latter two message. for postscript
level 1 2MB is really not much memory.

How much memory do you recommend for printing PDF files on a level 1
postscript printer?

alternatively, just view the pdf file with acroread, and then tell
acroread to print the file. It will translate it to postscript for you
before sending it to the printer.

By acroread, do you mean Acrobat Reader? If so, that's what I use.