Old December 1st 20, 10:44 AM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.microsoft.windows,comp.periphs.printers
Arlen Holder

Default If you print from Windows 10 to your LAN networked printer - have you also printed from Android? How?

On Tue, 1 Dec 2020 02:51:16 +0000 (UTC), JT wrote:

RAW is the default protocol on HP printers.
The other option is LPR/LPD.
I would highly recommend using RAW.

Hi JT,

Thanks for that recommendation as I'm at the point where I'm over my head
in protocols, RAW/JetDirect, IPP, IPP14, LPD, none of which have I even
thought about in all my decades of printing from Windows & Linux.

When everybody knows how to do it, I just google and find the steps
o It's only on Android printing that the steps simply don't exist (AFAICT).

Nowhere on the net have I found a step-by-step tutorial to do something
this simple, which is print directly to your own Ethernet'd printer which
isn't Mopria or Wi-Fi, and where you don't have a Linux CUPS server setup.

Even Android 10 help completely ignores printing to an Ethernet'd printer:
o https://i.postimg.cc/pTkFdBSG/printing04.jpg

Even the HP app failed (it expects a "Wi-Fi printer"), where, until I found
the combination of LetsPrintDroid/LetsPrintPDF, the only solutions that
worked were the highly marketed cloud solutions.

While big marketing orgs love to have your data, the last thing I would use
is the cloud just to get data from one device on my LAN to another...
o Only a fool would need to use the cloud to transfer files to/from his own devices.
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/sgSv_BRzO0A

I admit though that, when I looked for solutions, the big MARKETING orgs
sure did make it easy for people to print to their printers via the cloud.

LPR/LPD gives you options for creating a print queue and send info about the job.
Not really needed in a home environment.
More info about LPR/LPD: https://www.brooksnet.com/content/faq-what-is-lpr-lpd
This entirely different from printer language.
Most HP printers support PCL5, PCL6 and Postscript printer languages.
PCL6 would be my choice if you don't need Postscript or your printer doesn't support it.

Since this is a "legacy printer", HP no longer supplies the Windows 10
drivers, and neither does Windows 10, by default, even when you click the
"Update Driver" buttons where it tries (forever, and fails) to get them.

I wrote up this tutorial long ago for the _only_ way to get Windows
drivers, where, at that time, as I recall, I _tried_ PCL-6, but failed.
o Tutorial for the EASIEST (maybe only?) way to install a problematic legacy printer such as the HP LaserJet 2100 on Windows 10 current versions
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/alt.comp.freeware/Qb-fXNOH_8g

I tentatively (but not conclusively) conclude it doesn't support PCL-6.

In addition, some HP printers do NOT allow Telnet access.

A port scanner says HP LaserJet 2100tn apparently supports telnet
o Although I would only use it for debugging purposes (AFAIK).

I wish I had on Windows a port scanner that could tell me this information
o Port Authority, Port scanner
https://f-droid.org/en/packages/com.aaronjwood.portauthority/
Which reported the printer had the following "Open Ports"
23 - Telnet
80 - World Wide Web HTTP
280 - http-mgmt
515 - spooler
631 - IPP (Internal Printing Protocol)
9100 - PDL Data Streaming Port
As shown in this screenshot:
o https://i.postimg.cc/L4YqhR1P/printing16.jpg

While I'm not sure what the "spooler" port does, it seems I had two options
all along that I didn't know I had, which are to use "IPP" (I don't really
know what that is yet though) or RAW (port 9100).

The good news is, I think, the fact IPP (whatever that is) might work in
addition to JetDirect/RAW, literally doubles my options, from 1 to 2!
--
Knowledge is not the same as experience when it comes to making choices.