Old March 14th 18, 11:02 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Ed Light

Default Do you stress test your new drives?

On 3/14/2018 3:34 PM, Computer Nerd Kev wrote:

It's always a bit of a gamble whatever you do, that's what backups
(etc.) are for. I don't think that repeating the initial tests that
the manufacturer should have already done will have much impact on
the odds.

I actually had to send a Samsung and a Western Digital back because they
didn't pass the full self-test, where the drive totally scans itself.

It can take hours to run and so I doubt if the manufacturers do that. It
would certainly be better if they did.

Probably the drives would have accepted data and who knows, maybe
corrupted some of it, even eventually.

It's best to use a copy utility instead of Explorer, that can be set to
compare the original and copied files. My 1st inkling of one HD going
bad was when I copied a TV show I'd just recorded and it wasn't ok.

Otherwise I'd have gone on using the bad drive, and the copied show
wouldn't have played.

--
Ed Light

Better World News TV Channel: