Old April 21st 17, 05:12 PM posted to alt.windows7.general,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Linea Recta[_2_]

Default USB stick leaking

"VanguardLH" schreef in bericht
Linea Recta wrote:

"Linea Recta" ...

I used a Lexar USB stick yesterday to boot a computer. I haven't used
the stick intensively, but now I noticed that it is leaking sticky
stuff from the seam on the sides. Any idea what the stuff is? Is it
toxic? Can I keep using the stick normally?

The stick looks like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Lexar-JumpDri.../dp/B0021AFWL4

but I took a magnifying glass to read what's exactly on mine:

lexar LJDTT4GB-000-1001AC
333074GBGA
N12610

product of China

http://www.lexar.com/products/usb-fl...ash-Drive.html

Those are not listed as waterproof/resistant so there should be no
silicone filling to ooze out (but shouldn't anyway since, when it set,
silicone is not going to ooze but burn from an overheated chip).

Is what oozed out soft or hard? Is it like paste that you can smoosh
between your fingers, like toothpaste? Is it rubbery, like silicone
caulking? It is hard, like the plastic shell itself?

It is sticky and quite soft. Colour: transparent yellowish.
I tried to clean it, but it seems the red colour of the case comes off
now...
BTW I'm not aware the stick ran hot.

--

|\ /|