Old February 26th 04, 07:30 PM
Neil Maxwell

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 23:02:58 -0000, "Butty"
wrote:

Ideally I want a dive I can plug in and leave it do its incremental and full
backups without having to turn the power on and off at system start-up and
shutdown. What are the externally powered drives like for leaving powered on
all the time and is it advisable to do or not do this?

When it comes to storage, I find bigger is better, and one backup is
better than none. DVDR can help with off-site archives, depending on
how much you're dumping. The only addition to other comments would be
whether the drive would be bothersome if it were noisy. I have an
external drive in the bedroom that I power down with the computer
because of the annoying whine. It's not very loud, but it's loud
enough.