Old October 23rd 20, 12:41 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
VanguardLH[_2_]

Default press 4 to unlock core

bad sector wrote:

BIOS should come up by touching "Del" but it takes a dozen
attempts for that to work with my new usb gaming keyboard.

USB is a polled interface. PS/2 is an interrupt-driven interface. If
the computer gets super busy, the USB device may not get its chance at
the next polling interval, and why USB keyboards can lag in video games
compared to PS/2 keyboards. Just because a product says "gamer" in its
product name doesn't mean it really qualifies for that type of use.

Did the keyboard come with a USB-to-PS/2 adapter? If so, the keyboard
has the logic to switch between the different hardware protocols. If
your computer has a PS/2 port then I'd use that for the keyboard.
Gamers prefer PS/2 to USB because there is less delay or lag on
keypresses with PS/2, and PS/2 supports more concurrent keypresses than
USB. That's why some gamer mobos still come with a PS/2 port. Also, no
reason to toss the availability of a USB port if a PS/2 port is
available.

I found:

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards...pecifications/

where it mentions one PS/2 port (for keyboard). If your USB gaming
keyboard came with a PS/2 adapter then it supports both USB and PS/2
hardware protocols (internal logic has it switch between them). If the
keyboard did not include a PS/2 adapter, it is a USB-only keyboard. You
cannot simply plug a USB-only keyboard into a PS/2 adapter since the
USB-only keyboard doesn't support the PS/2 hardware protocol. You can
get an active hub that converts from USB to PS/2 to let you connect a
USB-only keyboard to a PS/2 port, but those are more costly than just
getting a USB+PS/2 or PS/2 keyboard.

It has been a long time since I've seen this, but some old BIOSes must
be configured in their settings to "Support legacy devices" which
includes the PS/2 ports. If you see that setting in the BIOS then
enable it should you decide to get a PS/2 keyboard or get a USB+PS/2
keyboard and use the USB-to-PS/2 adapter.

Which USB "gamer" keyboard do you have?