Old November 24th 08, 07:39 PM posted to comp.sys.intel,alt.intel,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Les Steel

Default Which Intel CPUs should I get?

morvak said the following on 24/11/2008 18:33:
On Nov 24, 5:59 am, Ant wrote:
Hello all.

I am planning to upgrade my computer again next month. I am at a loss on
which Intel Core 2 Duo CPU to get since there are so many models:

E7300 (2.66 ghz 1066 fsb) = $135
E7400 (2.8 ghz 1066 fsb) = $155
E8200 (2.66 ghz 1333 fsb) = $175
E8400 (3.0ghz 1333 fsb) = $190
E8500 (3.16ghz 1333 fsb) - $205
Q6600 (2.4 ghz 1066 fsb) = $200
Q8200 (2.33 ghz 1333 fsb) = $210

I am planning to have 2 GB of RAM, ATI Radeon HD 4850(most likely)/4870
(all details cranked up at 1280x1024 resolution), use Windows XP Pro.
SP3 (screw Vista and its DirectX 10+), etc.

Thank you in advance.
--
"If you're an ant, and you're walking along across the top of a cup of
pudding, you probably have no idea that the only thing between you and
| |o o| | Ant's Quality Foraged Links (AQFL):http://aqfl.net
\ _ / Nuke ANT from e-mail address:
( ) or

for that resolution i'd go with the E8400 (3ghz). I have the HD 4850
and a 16x10 res monitor and with E8400 can play everything pretty much
max (except Crysis which I don't own).

Or if your not scared of overclocking get a Q6600 g0 stepping (I
believe) for the extra $10 and crank it up! (Carefully if your not sure!!)

--
Les

Chuck Norris doesn't go hunting.... CHUCK NORRIS GOES KILLING