Old March 25th 06, 08:56 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell

Default Restoring Axcel 4630, HD problems

I hadn't fired up the 4630 in 2 yrs. Recalled it working fine back then.
It simply sat on the floor minding it's own business until yesterday. I
now find I cannot access the HD. Tried reading it in another PC and it
shows a directory structure but if I try to read a directory, the
working PC cannot do it. Scandisk crashes when trying to access the 4630
HD even when slaved to another PC. I "thnk" I recall seeing the word
"locked" while trying to access the HD as a slave unit.

When I try to run the 4630 on its own, it cannot load any OS. Scandisk
insists it cannot read the drive. I have tried using the restore CD, no
luck. I even tried formating the HD - "Attention: A serious disk error
has occured while writing to drive C." A popup type screen asks if I
would like to retry (r)? reading the HD, it becomes an endless loop and
I need to reboot.

The PB restore disk sys info shows Windows 95 [version 4.00.950] and I
see another partition with DOS on it, most likely 6.22 can't remember
when I put that on but it worked fine back then.

If I try to delete a extended partition or any partition in Fdisk, it
can't write to the HD

Might it be the controller unit? The disk spins, the head moves, but I
simply cannot get it up and running, nor restore, nor repair. Never ran
into this type of problem before and I might as well learn from it.

I started up another HD with Win95b on the 4630 but I don't let it get
too far before halting the loading so it doesn't mess up the settings on
the HD OS. So I know the original HD is the problem, just don't know
what exactly is the problem. I can experiment is anyone has suggestions,
the HD is expendable and the files on it aren't important.