Old May 25th 18, 05:24 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

Default Intel onboard GPU conflicting with CPU power

On Fri, 25 May 2018 17:18:01 +0100, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:

On Fri, 25 May 2018 16:55:29 +0100, John McGaw wrote:

On 5/25/2018 8:48 AM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
Is it true that if you max out the GPU part of an Intel processor at the
same time as all the normal cores, it can't do them all at once? I run
Boinc which can do calculations on both at once. And if I use all the CPU
cores, the GPU part goes about a 5th of the speed. I guess the only other
place this could happen is a game that multithreads on all the cores and
also uses the graphics.

A question probably better asked in a different forum. No doubt someone
here will have a definitive answer:

https://boinc.berkeley.edu/dev/forum_index.php

I asked there too. The consensus of opinion appears to be, with most projects on most CPUs, that an onboard GPU is faster (5 times faster in my case) than one of the cores you have to tell it to stop using, so it's worth using it. If I don't tell it release a core, the GPU part is throttled severely.

But I asked here because I wanted to know why it can't run everything at once (it's not overheating or anywhere near it) - a google search says throttling should only take place if it's too hot.

And this is the case on a couple of computers - i5-3570K and i5-8600K. I didn't bother testing the old Celerons.

Update, I wasn't sure if I had actually tested the i5-8600K, so I tried it again, and it doesn't seem to slow it down. Maybe they're designed better nowadays? Maybe there's always a bit of a core free with it having 6 cores instead of 4, I don't know. But I am 100% sure that the i5-3570K slows considerably - although, maybe that task required some CPU usage too and wasn't getting it. I'll just reduce the CPU cores used until it doesn't go near 100%, then no GPU gets throttled. The real graphics cards need CPU assistance sometimes anyway.

I run BOINC on multiple machines and always understood that it would only
use external (non-cpu) graphics hardware so I can't contribute anything
from personal experience.

It depends on the project. They all run on CPUs. Several run on Nvidia cards. Several others run on AMD cards (or both). Only three have Intel graphics support - Einstein, SETI, and I think Collatz.

--
I once got the stuffing beat out of me fighting for a girl's honour.
She wanted to keep it.