Old June 19th 10, 07:22 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel
Robert Myers

Default Marginal OEM Power Supply

Bill Davidsen wrote:

Robert Myers wrote:

DIMM slots 0 and 2 had been installed correctly and the "upgrade" was
installed to slot 3.

I would expect that to pass smoke test, then, incorrectly installed as
in not full speed rather than upside down or something, I'm actually
surprised that it didn't show up working on POST and only be obvious
with the cover off or using dmidecode. Or whatever the Windows tool is
to get the same information.

I would have expected it to boot, too, but it didn't. I tried to boot
before opening the machine. It's been long enough that I don't remember
if it got past a power-on POST and stopped at a blank screen. Maybe
that would have constituted passing a smoke test. I can understand why
a tester in a hurry wouldn't want to wait for Vista to boot.

Since I intended to add memory, I didn't hesitate to take the cover off
to see what was going on. Making what I thought would be a correct
memory install fixed the problem.

Robert.