Old January 29th 05, 04:45 PM
Trent©

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 21:23:27 -0500, Tanya
wrote:

hi,
x-posted
this is not a very popular topic as i keep losing people :-)
but i'd appreciate any help.

Your post is hard to read. Yer throwin' too much slang in. I haven't
read stuff like this since English Comp 101 lol

But...I'll try to help...with both! lol

ibm aptiva 2159-s90 (1997; split system;

What's a 'split system'?

win95B) SUDDENLY for no reason,
had post-start-up errors (date and time change (they hadn't changed)

What do you mean 'they hadn't changed'?

and
config change -- referred to the floppy drive))

How many floppy drives do you have? What size are they?

the floppy was fine (basically)

What do you mean 'basically'?

i changed the battery last pm and it
wouldn't pass the post (at all)

What do you mean 'wouldn't pass the post'? What EXACTLY happened?
Any error messages?

cleared the cmos (paper btwn clip and battery overnight)

You clear the BIOS by use of a jumper...and then only momentarily. Go
get a new batter from Radio Shack and put it in. It seems like the
battery is the biggest part of your problem so far.

it booted this am;

You can say 'morning'. We're all adults. We can handle it! lol

many post-start-up errors (some phantom)

Geez. What the hell do you mean 'phantom'? I can SEE why a lot of
folks have given up on you! lol

Make a note of any errors...EXACT verbiage. Then let us know.

currently: the cd-rom (in the media console)

What is a 'media console'?

is running

What do you mean 'is running'? The cdrom WORKS? Or...you can see an
icon? Or...

however the pc
won't recognize the win95 cd (the cd-rom is set as the 4th start-up
device)

Try another cd and see if the rom can read it.

the post-start-up error now is: "adapter card resource error" which i
think refers to the media console controller card (since it's in an isa
slot)
i have NO CLUE what to do about that.

Most of your problems probably have come about because your EZBios has
reset itself to the default settings. Get the new battery
first...then we can try to solve some of the other problems.

so i want to get the pc to reset to factory settings and don't know how
to get this (it is not listed (although it used to be))

WHAT is not listed? What are you talking about here?

i need to test the psu

Not yet you don't. One step at a time. None of your problems so far
sound like a Power Supply Unit (PSU) problem.

and want to make sure that this is correct:
i'd put the positive (red) probe (backprobe) to for example the red wire
on the power cable to the hd and THEN ground it (for example using the
p8-6 and p9-1(the center black wires on the power to the board
adapter?))
any help is greatly hoped for and appreciated

Depending on what you've really done, you may have even shorted out
the hard drive also.

Do this...

Get the CMOS battery...put it in. Then disconnect the hard drive.
Then boot the machine into the BIOS...and make sure all the settings
are correct for your machine. Then power down...unplug...and plug in
all drives. Record any error messages you may get...and get back to
us.

When the CMOS battery is getting low, you'll start to lose time on the
computer (other things can cause this also, however). This is a good
warning that you should replace the battery soon. So its a good idea
NOT to run programs that'll automatically go out and reset the time on
your computer.

If you get several bad or incorrect boots, most EZBios will finally
boot to default, safe settings. This may have happened in your
situation.

Get a good battery...then we can continue.

Have a nice one...

Trent©