Old August 25th 19, 10:21 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Norm X[_2_]

Default MCP73VE PC no Boot

I finally got my desktop PC to show a boot screen, after I re-seated the
Q9650 CPU chip. I removed the GPU card and HDMI output. Instead, I plugged
in a VGA monitor. Windows reported errors and would not boot. This happens
reproducibly when there are RAM error. I re-seated the RAM chips that were
loose. Then I ran Linux dongle 'check memory ' app that Paul suggested. It
immediately reported numerous error. That and the fact that the CPU
temperature got critical suggests a bad motherboard. I will need to buy a
new MOBO.

That PC is my research computer. I do better radiological computing than
employed radiologists who don't have time to spare. I have set up a GoFundMe
page:

https://www.gofundme.com/mri-3d-imag...r-me-and-world

, which I set up to raise funds for my PC repair so I can carry on with MRI
3D reconstruction. On the page, I display an image of CT 3D reconstruction .
Mint Medical is the German company, funded by the German Cancer Society,
https://mint-medical.com.

Please visit this page and please donate so that advanced radiological
computing can be supported. The image shown is a result of my FOI data
request. My kid sister had open heart surgery. Because of my medical
condition with a major left chest wall defect, I would not be eligible for
surgery and I would be expected to ask for Medically Assisted dying. I don't
want to die.

Please make a small donation for scientific research. Donors can get some
free publicity that might be of value for professionals.

Thank you.

Hi,

History: my MCP73VE PC was working when I transported it by car to shop to
see about a new CPU (Q9650) cooler fan. When I brought it back home I
dusted the CPU Cooler duct and tightened the CPU screws. Nothing I haven't
done in the past.

Current work: When I got home the PC would not boot, did not show the POST
screen and gave me no access to BIOS program or F12 multiboot selection.
I left it for a few days and consulted WWW for ideas. One idea related to
the Battery. I checked the battery, in place with a multimeter. Other than
the CPU, I can find no chips requiring a push to resocket. I checked the
power/data connections to my SSD SATA drives.

My conclusion is that maybe my Intel Q9650 is not working for some reason.
When I last renewed my PSU I used better thermal grease. I think worrying
about the socket CPU would not be fruitful. On the other hand the Intel
Q9650 got fried by static? To me, this is not reasonable because it is
fully enclosed in metal.

Maybe the MOBO got damaged? My new PSU gave voltages that permitted PC
boot. I have a MCP73VE design PDF schematic that says "Voltage design
should be covered +5V, +3.3V, +12V, +5VSB, -12V (attention to 12V output
capability)" As I reported here earlier -12V is near zero but the PC has
always booted. I think this is universal since PSUs never give -12V

I have the SSD SATA drives that retain 11+ years of work. There are a
number of valuable parts to carry over to my next MOBO, if required: 8GB
of DDR2 Samsumg memory, Intel Q9650 if not damaged, GTX970 GPU, new PSU

I would welcome suggestions. Thanks.