Old January 30th 08, 03:54 PM posted to comp.arch.storage
Sto RageŠ

Default Good Cheap NetApp System To Explore Feature Set?

On Jan 29, 11:13 pm, "Will" wrote:
"Faeandar" wrote in message

On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 21:06:13 -0800, "Will"
wrote:
I'm looking for a few recommendations for NetApp systems I can buy on the
cheap that would give a reasonable introduction to the NetApp feature set,
particularly for things like snapshots. I'm okay with something that is
older technology and maybe a full release out of the current release. My
main goal is to understand how and if the feature set might be used in
various applications we have for disk-based backup.

Cheap is so subjective. Give us a ballpark?

The lowest-end NetApp that you can get is a 270c, though they have
been EoL'd and the 2020c is about the same price (maybe a 3%
differential).
The 2020 is the new low-end but fairly robust in it's own right.

I'm talking about under $2K bought on eBay, older generation product.

I'm using this for a test lab experiment just to understand functionality,
not performance.

--
Will

Well, if its only the feature set that you are interested in, why not
look at the NetApp simulator, Its free! and simulates all the major
functions of a real filer, except for FC SAN
-G