Old July 8th 03, 01:19 AM
envoy

Any insight/first hand experience will be appreciate !

Doesnt sound good. Check the mobo and cards to see if any of the
electrolyte (sic) dripped on them. This doesn't seem likely so it is a
bit of a long shot, but then Ive never seen a supply give it up as
dramatically as you describe. Ground youself and remove the cards and
mobo to make sure they are clean. If the smell is lingering after
replacing the supply then some of the goop might have escaped the unit.
Not sure what to use for clean. Alcohol sounds good. Do NOT use
anything like acetone that might dissolve components or circuit board
coating. Give the parts plenty of time to dry before plugging it all
in.

That said, I have seen two power supplies go without taking out
anything else. Lucky me (throwing salt over my shoulder and clutching
my rabbits foot). However I was warned by the service tech when I
purchased the replacement for the first unit that power supplies can
sometimes kill other components while in their death throws because
they can create a substantial spike in the power, selfishly taking
whatever they can with them on their way out. You have my sympathy if
that is the case.

On the good side, this is a excellent opportunity to upgrade your
system :-). Anyway, its an excuse to get a nice begging-to-be-
overclocked Athlon board.

Good luck.

--
mark