Old December 4th 03, 04:10 AM
David H. Lipman

Except...

You are not taking into account; the importance of the data, the reliability factor and
the sheer speed that RAID 5 provides.

As for the cost of the system vs the cost of the disk sub-system -- it's a moot point. It
has no bearing what so ever. What matters is the functionality, application and the need
for reliability.

What happens if that 250GB drive dies ? Then what ?
Think about the backup alternatives for 250GB. AIT2, DLT etc. Think about the time it
takes to back up 250GBs of data.
Using RAID, if one hard disk dies, the user still has access to the data and the failed
drive can easily be replaced.

Think outside the box. Think about the - what ifs....

Dave

"Tom Scales" wrote in message
| Dave,
|
| That's ridiculous. A $900 computer and $1500 worth of disk.
|
| 250GB works fine in a 4550.
|
| Tom
| "David H. Lipman" wrote in message
| Suz:
|
| Go RAID 5 and SCSI and you will not have the artificial barriers of IDE
| hard disk
| controllers. Plus you a very reliable and very fast disk sub-system.
|
| Dave
|

| "Suzeann Loomis" wrote in message
| |
| | Help, please.
| |
| | I have been told that I can only add another 120 gigabyte hard drive
| | to my Dell 4550. But people at a local computer shop say I can add a
| | 250 gigabyte hard drive.
| |
| | Which is true? I need more space for my photography.
| |
| | Thank you.
| |