Old January 4th 17, 03:58 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
James Wilkinson Sword

Default WD external 6 TB USB drive DOA

On Wed, 04 Jan 2017 04:09:25 -0000, Neill Massello wrote:

James Wilkinson Sword wrote:

I bought 6 black drives from them, and almost all of them failed, some
twice. They just overheated, all the bloody time.

Blacks run hot. They need a lot of cooling. Even some enclosures with
fans aren't good enough.

They should have said that when I bought them, there was no warning about extra cooling. It cost WD about 6 drives. All they had to do was put a sticker on them saying "please ensure sufficient ventilation, as we've designed this really crap".

--
Wedding rings: the world's smallest handcuffs.