Old January 4th 17, 03:49 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
James Wilkinson Sword

Default WD external 6 TB USB drive DOA

On Wed, 04 Jan 2017 02:13:47 -0000, Ed Light wrote:

I bought 6 black drives from them, and almost all of them failed, some
twice. They just overheated, all the bloody time.

Were those externals?

Internals, mounted in a large case with plenty room. Six in a RAID array, I can't remember but I guess I can't have had a drive's width gap between each as tower cases aren't that tall. I guess I should have had fans blowing directly over them.

The solution is to buy a directional desk fan like a Vornado and aim it
at the drive.

I took a WD green out of its usb 2 external enclosure and put in in a
usb 3 that had no vents. It would heat up, unless I used the fan, then
it was good for whatever time period.

--
Why do the Scots wear kilts?
Sheep can hear a zipper at 500 yds....