Old September 4th 10, 12:10 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Mike Easter

Default what's this noise if not the cpu fan?

poachedeggs wrote:

I got in touch with AMD who eventually diagnosed a faulty fan and
heatsink, which they replaced.

How did 'getting in touch with' AMD enable them to diagnose a noise in
your system? :-/ Pretty amazin' if you ask me.

The pc case is the cheapest possible CIT with a 450w power supply.

That is the famous equation/strategy in which if the PS is a suspect,
you are 'required' to replace it and see what happens. :-)

It's often fine for most of the day but then will start ot make that
noise, and then that'll stop pretty abruptly as if the computer was
changing gears.

Any ideas? Thanks all.

Maybe you should record the sound and post it somewhere :-)

--
Mike Easter