Old April 11th 07, 11:51 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Charles C. Shyu

Default HOT GPU

A couple months ago I posted my 6800GT (inside a Dell XPS Gen 3, WinXP)
temps (according to NVIDIA Control Panel):
Ambient temperatu 56 deg C
GPU Co 81 deg C
Slowdown threshold: 135 deg C

Now I've found that if even a simple program like the 3D Pipes screensaver
comes on, the temps jump to:
Ambient temperatu 72 deg C
GPU Co 112 deg C
Slowdown threshold: 135 deg C

The numbers will quickly drop to "baseline" levels once the screensaver is
stopped, and will spike again if the screensaver is activated. In the
NVIDIA Control Panel, when the temp goes above 100 deg C or so it will be
shown in yellow instead of green, presumably indicating that this is not a
good temp to be running at.

I haven't noticed any symptoms with my system (locking up, reboots) at all,
but surely this can't be normal operating temp, right? Perhaps the fan on
the video card is malfunctioning? I did open up my case and de-dust the
thing, but the temps haven't budged. What gives?

Thanks!
--
Charles C. Shyu
http://home.earthlink.net/~shyuc/shyu.html