Old January 13th 19, 12:28 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Norm X[_2_]

Default Pleasant surprise

Maybe I should explain how I did this. Go to System Properties. At the
top of the virtual memory page is a button, "Automatically manage paging
file size for all drives". Uncheck this button. C: drive page file is
still "System managed". You should then be able to make D: "System
managed". I think that manually setting the pagefile upper and lower size
limits might be an error that causes your problems This worked well for
my Win10 PC. When I see that I have gained 1.2GB in free RAM, I ask from
where. Answer, The second pagefile on D:\ allowed 1.2GB of memory
contents to be paged out.

I have started two VirtualBox VMs, Puppy Linux (actually started
yesterday) and now WinXP. There is still ~100 MB free Win10 memory. WinXP
Task manager says only 1-3% CPU is used. I don't want my system to crash
but it still has enough resources to permit Waterloo Maple to run.

I just closed two VirtualBox VMs and now I have 2GB free memory. I am
pleased. There is no longer any urgency for me to find and install greater
than 4GB RAM when only 1.9GB RAM is used. Windows managed pagefiles are
doubleplus good.

I have increased my RAM to 8GB using two sticks of Samsung DDR2. Now the
amount of paging is reduced. However, when accessing SSD D:\ programs or
data, Resource Monitor says that D:\pagefile.sys is accessed. This is more
efficient.