Old December 5th 18, 03:55 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

Default another 1920x1200 LCD problem

On Wed, 5 Dec 2018 02:25:18 -0800 (PST), wrote:

I had a Samsung 2443 sitting in a cupboard for ages. I plugged it in to a
laptop using VGA cable, and screen is blank. If I shine a torch onto the
screen, I can see the image, meaning the backlight is shirking its duty.
However, if cable unplugged, you get the moving box telling you there is
no input, check cable. So the backlight is working.
I can't see anything in VGA pinout that would tell monitor to turn out
the backlight.
It works using the DVI for about 10 seconds, then backlight goes out,
but the power indicator LED stays blue.

Faulty logic on a control board, possibly. Laid face down on a
blanket and disassembled from the back, those boards are sometimes on
Ebay. And there may not be much else in there besides the board,
screen, backing source, possible PWR PCB support module. My first
Syntax 32" broke in warranty - vertical lines traces generated across
25% of a motion display screen. Talked to them and somehow we got to
a point where they decided to send me replacement boards to effect my
repair. Didn't work after I swapped the control board. Same lines.
Called back and they said they had no idea in hell why support would
have customers doing their own repairs. Sent me the next-year's model
and it's being going for a couple decades.

I've also a Samsung SyncMaster 19" 940T that's older than that. It's
the Samsung that slides up a column from it's base to rotate 90-deg
for a page-mode wordprocessing display. Still works great from near
the end of CRTs and never saw a lot of use. 32" then became my
preferred desktop size.