Old September 13th 05, 05:59 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird
Wes Newell

Default athlon heat question

On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 08:31:55 -0700, sligo wrote:

I plan to buy an athlon 64 3000+ processor. Is the stock heat sink adequate
or should I consider something better? If so what make?

The actual heat sink itself is fine. The problem with the cooler is it's a
little noisy because of the small (70x15mm) highspeed fan. replacing that
with a 70-80 or 90mm fan adapter will allow a larger fan and it will work
as good or better with an 80x25mm 2500rpm fan that's almost silent. The
other problem with the cooler is that it's a single clip cooler instead of
a 3 clips for the cooler latch spring. This may or may not concern you,
but mine broke the single tab on one end of the cooler retainer. Luckily,
I was there when it happened and shut down the system and replaced the
stock cooler with a TR2-M6 that has 3 tab clips (but only 2 on one end
now). The TR2-M6 which can be had for about $7, works just as good as the
stock cooler and since it comes with an 80x25mm 2500rpm fan it's also very
quiet compared to the stock cooler. So, the stock cooler is adequate, but
one that I'd never use again becasue of the 2 things I mentioned.