Old August 26th 03, 03:07 AM
YanquiDawg

Sounds like Power supply or ram. Generic power supplies have lies for specs. If
you check closely even a 420W can put out as low as 150W continously.Check the
Amperge listed on the PS and compare it to brand name PS's like Antec and
Enermax.
If you PS has dent amperage,check the timing on your ram. Try CAS 3 if it's at
CAS 2 or 2.5.
Also,update your sound drivers.Just a hunch.

Okay, I'll lay down my system specs first

AMD Athlon XP1900+
Soltek SL-75DRV4 (via kt266a chipset)
Using onboard AC '97 sound
PC 2100 512MB DDR
Samsung 5400RPM ata100 20 GB HDD.
Asus V9280S ( GeForce4 ti4200 8X AGP 128MB)
Plextor burner.
Just added Lite-On 16X DVD
USR OEM 56K (non-hardware) voice modem
Generic NiC.
Generic 420W PSU

No USB devices installed.

only other time I've encountered freezes or lock-up is when trasfering
large ammounts of data to my HDD (i.e. copying from my CDs when I
reformatted). The other clue I've been given is that twice in the last
few months, the computer failed to boot, locking up durring the drive
detection process in the opening bios page. Now, I've had this problem
on windows both before AND after I reinstalled it.