Old October 15th 04, 05:15 PM
jaster

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 11:55:05 -0700, jimbo wrote:

I have physical hard drive "C" with Win98 and physical hard drive "D" with
WinXP in a dual boot setup. I want to injstall a new, larger physical hard
drive "D". I have tried to follow the procedure for cloning a drive using
Norton Ghost. I disconnected the cables from "C" and connected the new
hard drive. (I set the new drive's jumper to "master" the same as the "C"
drive.) Then Norton Ghost was booted from floppies and I cloned drive 2 to
drive 1. This all seemed to OK. Then I disconnected the new drive and
changed the jumper to "slave". Then I reconnected the "C" drive. Then I
disconnected the "D" drive and connected the new drive in it's place. Now
when I boot to WinXP it fails just after the WinXP splash screen. A blue
screen with an error message appears and the system reboots.

Any insight will be appreciated.

jimbo

I think XP looks for boot image on the C drive and that is looking for
the old D drive not the new drive. With the new D drive installed try
booting from your WinXP CD go into repair XP and run fixboot. If that
doesn't fix the problem then you'll need to boot the XP CD go into install
mode and then repair the installed XP.

When I clone a drive I use the drive vendor's utility to make a
clone of the drive.