Old August 9th 18, 05:24 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
mike

Default "Why I Will Never Buy a Hard Drive Again"

On 8/8/2018 9:03 PM, Bill wrote:
VanguardLH wrote:
Lynn McGuire wrote:

"Why I Will Never Buy a Hard Drive Again"
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/ch...ves,37563.html

"It¢s been years since I was willing to work on any PC that boots from a
mechanical hard drive. Once you get used to the snappy response times
and speedier gameload times of an SSD, going back to a hard drive feels
like computing through a thick layer of molasses."

Ever look at the cost of a 2TB or 4TB SSD? Ouch!!!

Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 2TB SATA3 SSD
$509.77 (current sale price)
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...71&ignorebbr=1

Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 4TB SATA3 SSD
$1051.00 (current sale price)
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...69&ignorebbr=1

Then go look at HDD prices.

WDC Black 2TB SATA3 HDD
$119.00 (current sale price)
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...24&ignorebbr=1

WDC Black 4TB SATA3 HDD
$182.99
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...W6&ignorebbr=1

SSDs cheap? No phucking way even if you do recreational drugs. I only
use SSDs for the OS/app partition - and I know that I am paying a HIGH
premium for the faster SSDs. HDDs get used for large storage because
SSDs are still way too EXPENSIVE! However, not all users can afford the
premium priced SSDs for their OS/app partition's drive.

True, not all users can afford their own computers. But I think those
that do have and use them can cannot afford to not get an SSD large
enough for the core of their system. A couple of years ago, none of the
computers sold by Best Buy came with an SSD, but I strongly suspect that
situation is different today.

How's the reliability?
I'm still reading that they fail catastrophically without warning.
I can live with a crashed hard drive that still has most of its contents
intact.
Not sure I like the idea of living on the edge.
Yes, I do backups.

I picked up a NEW Samsung SSD850 EVO 500GB drive last month at an estate
sale for $10. Not had the motivation to put it into anything.
Already forgot that I have it.
I'd still have to run the spinner for bulk storage.

I rarely reboot my system and don't play games.

I put a smaller one in a laptop. Boots fast, but otherwise, can't tell that
it makes much difference.
The internet limits the speed of most of what I want to do.

If it ain't broke...