Old July 23rd 04, 06:13 PM
Pen

Pin 18 is the -5V line, and most recent boards don't use it.
Unlikely it would affect any board from turning on as it's
not part of the power good signal anyway.

"BrianBloodaxe" wrote in message

"BrianBloodaxe" wrote in message

"Mike Walsh" wrote in message

Probably not. There is a wire that goes to the power supply that

must be
grounded to keep the power supply running. I don't believe that will

be
active without a CPU. With a CPU installed the power should stay on

an you
should get a beep code for no memory.

BrianBloodaxe wrote:

My question is If you have got say just a motherboard and an atx

power
supply and nothing else, no hard drive, memory cpu etc. When you

connect
the
power supply to the atx power socket on the motherboard should

the
power
supply come to life with the fan spinning if the power connector

jumper
is
connected to a switch on the front of a pc case?

--

When replying by Email include NewSGrouP (case sensitive) in

Subject

Mike Walsh
West Palm Beach, Florida, U.S.A.

I shorted sockets 14 and 15 on the power supply unit and it comes to

life.
So that seems to be okay.

"Make Walsh" wrote 'I don't believe that will be active without a

CPU.
With
a CPU installed the power should stay on an you should get a beep

code for
no memory.
'

Is this true. Does the processor have to be attached to the

motherboard
for
the power supply to be switched on. I thought that it didn't. I

thought
you
could connect a good empty motherboard to an atx power supply, then

short
the power switch connectors on the board, and the fan would start up

on
the
power supply.
Anyway I attached a processor and tried it again but nothing

happened.
Does it look as if this new motherboard is faulty? I got it off ebay

so I
suppose I have to write it off to experience.

I've just read that this problem may be caused by a fault with the

power
supply connector that attaches to the motherboard. I've noticed that

there
is no Pin 18 http://www.jeae.dk/Computere/atx_-_psu.htm It is empty on

my
power supply. Might this be the cause?