Old July 23rd 04, 05:36 PM
Pen

Did you jump pins 14 and 15, which is power on
with just a known good drive as load?

"Chris Stolworthy" wrote in message

"BrianBloodaxe" wrote in message
How do you get a motherboard and an atx power supply to come to

life?

I hope this is not too obvious a question. But basically I've never

built
pc before so I don't have any experience. I've fitted extra memory,

drives
and cards but I've never built one from scratch.
Anyway here is the background info. Recently I acquired a pc that

had
died.
It wouldn't power up. There were no beeps or fan activity from the

power
supply unit.
The computer uses a standard atx power supply and motherboard. It

was
taken
to a pc repair shop and they tried it with a new power supply, which

didn't
work, so they concluded there was a deeper problem.
Anyway I bought a new power supply and tested it with the new one,

but
nothing happened. I had the same problem. However the fan on the

power
supply came on very briefly (1 sec) then all activity would stop.
To make sure the switch on the pc wasn't faulty I shorted the power

jumper
and nothing happened. So I thought the motherboard must be faulty.

I bought a cheap similar motherboard off eBay and I cant get this

one to
work wither.

My question is If you have got say just a motherboard and an atx

power
supply and nothing else, no hard drive, memory cpu etc. When you

connect
the
power supply to the atx power socket on the motherboard should the

power
supply come to life with the fan spinning if the power connector

jumper is
connected to a switch on the front of a pc case?

The motherboard I bought is a 'Gigabyte' GA-6WMM series Intel 810

AGPset.
If
that means anything. I placed it on a table (with nothing connected

to it)
and connected the power supply to it. Nothing happened (as would be
expected) however I looked through the manual and found the PW(Soft

Power
Connector) jumper. Am I right in thinking this should connect to the

pc
switch?
I shorted this with a screwdriver to simulate a switch action. But

nothing
happened. (I was very disappointed).
I then attached various things (cpu memory, pci cards) and placed

the
motherboard in the old computer case and connected the switch

connector to
the PW jumper. But again nothing.
Have I missed something. If you were building a pc from scratch and

had
just
bought a motherboard (as i had) how would you tell if the

motherboard was
ok
before assembling the entire thing?
Thanks

my first inclination would be to shunt the PSU to make sure it works
properly...cqan't rememre off hand which pins it is you need to shunt

tho...
Then if PSU works I would try mobo with CPU and 1 stick of good ram

ONLY!
Make sure the heatsink is installed the proper direction, (alot of

people
install it backwards which can cause POST issues) try cleaning thermal
grease from CPU, and reapplying a thin layer. See if that breathes

any life
into your sys...