Old June 29th 17, 03:38 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ron Hardin

Default GAK! Vostro 1400 cooling fan

Ben Myers wrote:

Ron,

Three comments.

1. Dell has gone to the dark side with the maintainability of its laptops. Downright horrific. Near complete disassembly to replace a hard drive is

another on

2. If you swap the hard drive from the Vostro 1400 into another one, you may well need to reactivate any software that requires activation. If the

Vostro 1400s

3, The Vostro 1400 uses an Intel 965 chipset, so the OS would boot and run on any system with the same chipset, e.g. Latitude D830, Latitude D630 and

others.

On Tuesday, June 27, 2017 at 4:39:11 PM UTC-4, Ron Hardin wrote:
It turns out that you have to disassemble the
entire laptop to get at the cooling fan.

Step 25 remove cooling fan.

The odds of the machine working after that are
zero.

I can see different chipset or devices would be a problem, but isn't all
that other stuff on the HD? In which case it ought to move with the HD.

Registry and all.

The V1400 still works just at a very low CPU speed, which it throttles to on
temperature. I have one CPU core turned off to help.