Old December 15th 09, 03:52 PM posted to alt.computer,alt.computer.workshop,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
THEO@TO.

Default Problem with WordPad all of a sudden.

On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 16:07:29 -0500, "- Bobb -"
wrote:

"JD" wrote in message
THEO@TO. wrote:
For years I've been taking .jpgs and pasting them in WordPad
documents and thought it was a great thing to be able to do it.
I've done hundreds of documents like that and never had any
problems. But now all of a sudden they don't show the pictures or
even the text anymore, but instead it's just a bunch of symbols
like y's with dots over them and rectangular blocks, etc... Can
anyone explain what happened and how to make it work the way it
did before?

New antivirus software ? Change security level on IE ( browser) ?

Now that you mention it when I shut it down the other day it took
its sweet time about it and said it was updating some
things--probably security things because it's always wanting to
do that--and then it shut down when it got done.

I ran into that with Outlook - showed me a small icon rather than image.

I looked at things more closely after reading that, and noticed
that the icon for .docs is the same as it was, then as they open
a WordPad icon shows up on the task bar, but then after they do
open it looks like a Notepad icon on the task bar instead of a
WordPad icon. Went to Folder Options--File Types. DOC (not .doc)
DOC File, Opens with: WordPad. So WTF???

Changed security from high to moderate and then showed picture as it used
to.
( "preview" is considered a security issue)

That's worth a try. How?

BTW, I use paint to do what you do
start- prgs - accessories-paint
copy picture from app
paste
save as
done

What do you use to copy pictures? I've been using a demo version
of LView for several years. It has always worked though, and I've
made quite a few docs this way with no trouble reading them or
transfering them and reading them on other computers (except
newer ones often said they could not read that version of Word
documents...) until now all of a sudden when they quit working on
my own computer.

Shouldn't it have something to do with that Notepad icon showing
up on the task bar? Even when I highlight a .doc icon, then right
click and select Open With, then open it with WordPad it still
looks like text only and brings up a Notepad icon on the task
bar. Looking at the document after it's open, at the top bar
(whatever it is) in the left corner there is a text icon like the
one on the task bar, but then it goes on to say . . . .doc -
WordPad. What the hell???