Old October 29th 07, 10:30 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Richard Steinfeld[_2_]

Default Ink vs. Laser - professional advise is needed

photo-alexk wrote:
Richard, thank you for pointing out that HP inkjets have the printing
head embedded in the cartridges. I believe a simlpe replacement of the
cartridge should solve all clugging problems in HPs, so I'll start
shopping for an HP .

It's not just replacing the cartridge, but I think a good advantage is
the ability of the HP system to recover from long inactive storage with
the cartridge left in place in the printer. (This seems to be the
opposite of many Epsons and Lexmarks). At least, that's my experience
and it's been mentioned here by others, too.

Good used HP inkjets can be had dirt cheap. I paid $5 each for an 850c
(old but good.), a newer, faster, stronger 970c, and a Photosmart (model
forgotten). I'm presently using a 940c that my ex gave me. All the last
three use the same color cartridge; the first two use the same black
cart. I've filled these carts myself, too. I like the printers. Can't
beat this. So, if you buy a printer for $5 and it's no good, toss it and
get another one for $5. (Regular prices: $10!)

These prices were from my favorite thrift shop (Humane Society -- with
the doggies and kitties and one rabbit). Prices were half off because I
went on Saturdays. It costs me $4 for gas and $4 for bridge toll, I get
printers for virtually nothing, the manager likes me, and I get to
shmooze with the cats. All very happy.

Is this cool or what?

Richard