Old August 20th 04, 01:53 PM
chrisv

kony wrote:

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004, CJT wrote:

For most people, desktop hard drives are hardly ever accessed anyway,
so speed is pretty irrelevant. Unless you're setting up a server that
will be accessed by many, go for the cheapest drive per byte stored.

Nonsense, everything the system is running is loaded from HDD,
and the speed is directly effected by speed of that hard drive.
A Celeron 800 with a WD Raptor HDD will feel faster for everday
use than a P4 3.2GHz with a budget-grade 40GB HDD.

I think you're right. In my experience, upgrading an older machine
with a modern HD makes a much more noticeable improvement in system
response than a CPU upgrade does.