Old June 25th 04, 01:20 PM
rstlne

"Codemutant" wrote in message
om...
I am intel celeron 333mhz user.., I recently decided to buy a new
computer.
The system is most propably going to be used to run a linux version
and do
some serious programming. May be a little bit of games, movies.. and
multimedia
can also be thoght of in the Things-to-do list. I was thinking of
buying
an AMD64 3ghz based computer. But my friends are advicing me to go for
an Intel
pentium 2.8 HT system. They argue that AMD is unreliable and
overheating of the cpu is
very common. They said that for saving money i must not compramise on
reliablity and performance in the long run.
What should i buy: an intel based system or an AMD?

Yes..
Many people feel this way.
I say that they must have never (at least not within the past 7 or so years)
used an AMD processor based system.
Most of the problems that there are turn out to be chipset problems. (It's
a good chance that the amd 915 and 925 chipset boards are going to be
recalled too) (those are intel btw)

Thermally speaking
Tell your friends that the P4's use more Power (they'll probably just say
that's cause the chips are faster) but Power translates into heat..

I am holding off on buying a new system right now JUST BECAUSE I want to
move to pci express & ddr2 & btx (if that happens) all at once rather than
buying tech today that might not work tomorrow.

At the end of the day you'll need to do some reviews and find out what's
going to be best for you.. the p4 ht 2.8 is good and should meet your
requirements. you can get ddr2 (as long as it's faster than pc3200 then
you'll be better off) and pci express with the current intel boards so that
might be more important to you than the x86-64 processor.