Old June 25th 04, 01:00 PM
Ben Pope

Codemutant wrote:
I am intel celeron 333mhz user.., I recently decided to buy a new
computer.
The system is most propably going to be used to run a linux version
and do some serious programming. May be a little bit of games,
movies.. and multimedia can also be thoght of in the Things-to-do
list. I was thinking of buying an AMD64 3ghz based computer
But my friends are advicing me to go for an Intel pentium 2.8 HT
system. They argue that AMD is unreliable and overheating of the
cpu is very common. They said that for saving money i must not
compramise on reliablity and performance in the long run.
What should i buy: an intel based system or an AMD?

Your friends are ill-advised.

The power consumption of an AMD64 is WAY below that of an Intel, and thus it
is cooler.

Overheating IS NOT a common problem when the heatsink is installed the
correct way round.

Compilation on an AMD is quicker than on Intel.

AMD64 will stomp all over the 2.8 in the tasks you have described. Just
check some benchmarks.

Reliability was a problem attributed to the chipsets years ago. AMD
chipsets have been fast and reliable for years.

In saving money you will not be compromising on reliability or performance.

Buy the AMD, you will not be disappointed.

Ben