Old June 22nd 04, 08:11 AM
kony

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 05:58:33 +0100, gt wrote:

So guys, any ideas how I can fix this? Surely I'm not going to have to
reinstall the OS to get my DVD/CD combi drive working?

No idea how to fix it, though I'd try installing SP4 just for the heck of
it before reinstalling the OS... probably won't help but why not?

Just also wondering if maybe someone using Windows 2000 (my other
machines have 95 and XP installed) could maybe paste a .reg file of
the values of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\R oot or
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\ Root\Legacy_CDFS,
which I could maybe try and install, if it will let me. Plus, anyone
know how to stop it locking me out of changing these values?

Thanks in advance

p.s. I tried updating the software Driver too, no luck

Software driver? You should not need any drivers loading for it. If you
were, still are loading legacy drivers for optical drives, don't unless
you know for certain that some other very old drive needs it. The new
drive should be supported by Win2K with absoluately no additonal software.
Of course you would need burning software and DVD viewer software for
those features, but not merely to read a CD.

Anyway, here's the reg entries from a Win2K SP4 box, should be same as SP3
AFAIK.

http://69.36.189.159/usr_1034/win2k_CD.zip

There are several drive entries. Two HDD & one 52X CDROM drive are
connected to a RAID controller. Another 2 HDDs & 1 52X CDRW connected to
motherboard IDE.