Old June 22nd 04, 04:06 AM
kony

On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 22:03:36 -0400, Repo Man wrote:

I have a psu dying on an old Pavilion 7850. The replacement part is HP
proprietary and listed as a 180W MATX on several sites. Is it possible
to buy a generic case with 300+ W psu and move the components into that
or does this HP model absolutely require only this specific power
supply. Some sites have mentioned a proprietary 4 pin mobo connector,
possibly for video. Any ideas?

This is the recommended replacement as far as I can tell

http://www.usereasy.com/product_6286.html

Somewhere I have a Pavillion, and have seen others, that use a PS3 type
power supply. Some places call that "mATX", but it is not the same
form-factor as the power supply you link... that doesn't mean I'm sure you
dont' need the type you linked, rather that a bit more investigation may
be needed.

PS3 PSU have the same mounting face dimensions and screw holes as a full
sized ATX, but are about 1.5" shorter (distance it extends toward the
front of the case). Standard ATX is about 5.5" and PS3 is 4", or 100mm in
metric. This could be good news, because in some Pavillions there is room
for the full length ATX, but maybe in others it is very close or would hit
the external bays, especially when those bays are in front of the right
side of the motherboard so the whole case is much shallower. If you can
use a full sized ATX, do so, but be aware that if it's butting up against
some optical drives then the air intake should be on the bottom (side as
it may be mounted in your case) instead of on the rear.

IIRC, the PS3 sized unit in the one here is about 180W, too, Delta brand.
if I can find it I'll take a look at it, I haven't touched the system nor
used it ever, beyond opening it to see what was inside. If you do need a
PS3 type those are also easy to find, for example,
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...104-112&depa=0
Note the screw mounting on that and compare to yours.

I'll also check the wiring of the one here. If you provided more info
about that aux. motherboard connector we might better determine the
significance of it. For example, the connector shape and wire colors. If
the wire colors don't look standard then compare to the wire colors used
for the molex drive power plugs, which are (when inserted in "most"
drives),

5V | GND | GND | 12V