Old January 20th 19, 09:50 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Paul[_28_]

Default What B450 MB for ryzen 2200g + 2x4GB kingston hiperx predator?

MaxTheFast wrote:
Thanks for your explanation and experience. As you could guess I'm very newbie and it's my first PC build.

Now I see I've made a mistake when I got 3200mhz ram instead of the cheaper and TESTED 3000mhz hiperx, but I've red the followings:
-http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-3742308/memory-choose-ryzen-2200g.html
"3000mhz (2966mhz) / 3200Mhz memory is best as it strikes a balance between costs and speed, remember Vega shares sytem memory."
-https://www.quora.com/Which-RAM-should-I-get-with-a-Ryzen-3-2200G-which-can-be-overclocked
"something with 2400mhz is as low as i would suggest, but it’s better to get at least 3000mhz, anything above that will just improve processor function even better,"
so i thought it'd has been better to get higher speed ram to improve graphics due to the fact it's integrated - I won't get a graph card. Anyway I've got this hiperx and I'll keep it if it works!

As I said my ram's *exact* code insn't listed in any QVLs of the above MBs, I just wrote the "similar" codes but as far as I know it's a lottery to guess if mine will be campatible or not on this base. Anyway I'll avoid Asrock due to its BIOS so thanks for your suggestion. I think I'll get the Asus if the Msi price won't go down in the next week.
Are you experienced in both asus and msi BIOSes? If yes, wich one and why do you prefer? Consider I've always used only a very old intel notebook with XP so I only know its dos bios!

BIOS development involved two companies.

A separate company writes the "bringup code". Award, AMI, Phoenix, Insyde...

The motherboard companies tune the parameters in the BIOS,
and the motherboard company doesn't have all the source code
with which to "compile" binaries with. Drivers for onboard
peripherals are modular (i.e. add a NEC/Renesas code module
to make a USB3 chip work). With the right tool, you can
see a list of the modules in the BIOS.

The motherboard companies must have some "extension" capability,
because they do adjust dividers that wouldn't normally be
visible. I've not seen any evidence of the really techie
controls being "in some GUI", so they must have some
other controls for playing with stuff. Sometimes one
company figures out some undocumented controls, better
than some other motherboard company. But once the second
motherboard company figures it out, they can usually
duplicate the effort in a couple months.

When Asrock screwed up my board, I thought it was "just one
of those things". When I see carelessness a second time,
then I've got to say something... For my Asrock board, I
used a hacked BIOS a guy in Germany did (and that is done
at the level of "enabling features" - again, no source code
is available and most of the typical end-user-hackers aren't
assembler/binary editor people).

Any of the other major players should be a safer bet.

Things you should do:

1) *Always* download the motherboard manual in advance.
Does it have a DRAM section for BIOS settings ?
Does it look like there are enthusiast voltage settings,
if something isn't stable. A shabby manual might have
only 40 PDF pages. A midrange manual might have 120 PDF pages,
plus the 120 page one has a BIOS section. This does not mean
the documentation is "excellent" - it merely means they
put more of their "token effort" into it :-) Like, sometimes,
we get enough info to figure out the PCI Express wiring and
which slots get disabled when you do this or that.

2) Check Newegg or Amazon comments on the product, in the
customer review section. I find for the electronics I buy,
several of the observations were spot on. When they said
a certain brand of hard drive "made a strange noise", when
I bought one, well damn, it made a strange noise and I knew
exactly what they were referring to.

Use the available info sources to reduce the risks in your build.

Paul