Old June 12th 18, 03:53 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

Default Unreally Lucky HDD

On Tue, 12 Jun 2018 03:23:01 -0400, Paul
wrote:

There are some shingled Seagates for sale now,
and you definitely don't want to buy those.

The trick is to find a datasheet with a platter
count. If the platter count is too low, that's
a shingled drive. I think you might be able to
get 2TB on one platter that way. One of the
other hints, is the shingled drives ship in a
0.8" high housing, rather than a regular 1.0"
high housing.

I don't know if WDC has done this yet or not.

The cheapest, smallest SSDs are a good deal,
but there's nothing quite yet which is
cheap enough for bulk storage. Just last week,
some QLC flash products were introduced, where
1TB is stored in a single chip, and it's possible
to get a 4TB SSD on a half-sized PCB (as only four
chips are needed). Those are based on QLC flash,
which has fewer than 1000 write cycles per cell.
There was no price stated, so no way of knowing
at the moment, whether that will drop below $1000
or not.
Paul

And why not ... can it be so bad? As technology, although
Shingled/Perpendicular is, to me, particular now to your mention, it
seems make sense. Perhaps physically a little less, maybe more with
some coffee and further reading on design and implementation SMR
technology. More than sense, it's rather intriguing -- there's a sort
of freshness to this HGST model, hermetically sealed platters in
helium, weirdly enough, weirdly esoteric targeted applications, such
as characteristically applied to denizens on the North Pole:
https://techreport.com/news/27031/sh...0tb-hard-drive
(With, oh dear, heat-assisted writing slated around the corner and for
a future release on the "burner".)

One promising enterprising feature for having already indicated a
relatively huge storage density, positioned in consequence to a lowest
market rung among a consumer-class consideration, is already what
appears to be considerable commotion to a broader business reception
for these trends. As if scanning across these title blurbs for
perhaps forgone hints on subscription-only read indeed suggests. . .
https://www.digitimes.com/tag/hdd/001755.html

As well, that water will inevitably seek its own level seems as
natural as gifted to a people for a general accessibility to any
'trickle down effect'. I'm probably really "living it up" with this
2T selection, same as all the rest I've bought for the past decade,
mostly 2T-class drives or close. That being sooner, than later, may
be increasingly less a reason why larger multiples of storage are
naught for other than a prime directive.

If anything aside from less allure, magnitudes of speed given SSDs
isn't quite the feature it perhaps once was, in a manner of
convenience so to suggest;- although, despite yet having to dip low
into a noname branded stock, I still do commend the notion or reserve
involatility lends over mechanical storage.