Old June 10th 18, 08:13 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul[_28_]

Default Upgrading USB 2 to USB 3 ports on a computer case

VanguardLH wrote:
Paul wrote:

VanguardLH wrote:

Paul wrote:

... and then you need a USB3 card with standard USB3 connectors on
the inside of the computer. I didn't see any examples of those when
looking, and looping cables through an open slot on the back of the
computer is an ugly solution.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...9SIA1DS0DV6321
(I've not used this brand)

The OP has not yet mentioned if he has any free PCI-e slots.

That's a good point. I didn't even ask what kind of motherboard this
is. The computer case is 9 years old (some time in 2009), PCI Express
Rev.2 came out in the year 2007, so it's possible the motherboard has
PCIe. Wiki says Rev.1 came out in the year 2003.

If you absolutely had to use a PCI slot for this, chances are you
wouldn't be able to get the internal connector for running to a tray.
And then you'd need to loop a cable from outside the machine, back
inside to the back of the tray. There aren't a lot of bridged cards
like that, because the companies designing them, won't sell a lot,
and after they make a single lot, they likely stop making them.

I could look again but the last time (several months ago) when I got
interested in addeding USB3 to an old Acer mobo that only had USB2 and
with all its PCI-e slots used up (either the PCI-e 1x slot was
obstructed by the fat video card or a card in that slot would obstruct
airflow for the GPU's fans), a PCI (non-express) USB3 card ran around
$70, or more. Uffda! No thanks. I only remember the high price for a
PCI USB3 card, not if any had internal USB3 ports (which wasn't what I
was looking for, anyway).

The bridged boards used to be about $20 more than the
non-bridged boards. But since the company making the
bridges got bought out, it's anyones guess as to whether
the new owner pricing will encourage usage of stuff
like that or not.

There is at least one PCIe to USB3 card which is as
expensive as your example card. But the claim to fame
on that add-in card, is it has two USB3 chips for
better bandwidth on two different ports, at the same
time. You could then run, say, two USB3 cameras
at full rate, one connected to each chip. You can
arrange your devices so there is no "sharing".

Paul