Old February 26th 18, 05:50 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

Default AMD and a hot date to flirt at the horrorshow

On Mon, 26 Feb 2018 04:54:29 +0000 (UTC), dogs wrote:

Yeah, yeah, but my desktop pc's Athlon XP-M (that's MOBILE, the pick of
the litter) core voltage is 1.425v

Still got one of those...how about that. Intimate, here, with all
them ... right through to the last Barton 2500 and the then first
slotted Thunderbird beyond.

Hmmm...somewhere along that particular scene, Intel came along
swinging with its eyes on AMD. Celeron D for a cost effective
shoot-out. My first non-AMD, since an Intel 386/SX. Overclocked like
a rubber band, too.

Never actually did the Athlon mobile route, although thanks for the
reminder. I recall looking at them, among offerings, back then.
2-3Ghz is actually respectable.

Unless of course cake and icing are on the menu. I'd updated CPUs for
4-generation of speed advances, both AMD and Intel on same-sockets,
until maxed out, through Ebay used CPUs. Every year or so business
pulls, updates afforded me. And never paid over $30 a used CPU. All
quads for the last two, three generation updates

I suspect it was The Golden Age of CPUs, at least pricewise for me.
Then came a retail boxed Octal Core for post-Ryzen, $90 sellout
pricing. That was my downfall. Two, three months ago I couldn't help
myself and bought it.