Old May 8th 08, 06:42 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
William R. Walsh

Default Well, that's different... (Dim2400 built in video behavior with add-in PCI card...)

I found an ATI Rage 128 Ultra4X Pro PCI card kicking around and decided to
put it into my newfound Dimension 2400. It came right up and worked like it
should, but I was surprised to see that Windows XP was only reporting 504MB
of memory installed in the system.

A visit to the Device Manager showed a "display adapter" with drivers that
were not installed. On a whim, I decided to install the Intel 845 graphics
drivers--and they worked. The unknown display adapter disappeared. Now the
Display control panel acts as though the Intel video could be used for a
second monitor.

I've never seen that before. I'm used to onboard video systems turning
themselves off or going to "sleep" when an add-in card is detected. This one
does not appear to do that--there is no choice to turn it off in Dell setup
(only "auto" or "onboard" may be selected) and it is still siphoning off
some memory.

Pretty wild...I think I'm going to get a second monitor over here and try
it.

William