Old August 29th 05, 05:18 AM
smh

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------
http://tinyurl.com/6eldj

(No Mikey S-lickers have been able to prove ANY of the above is a LIBEL)
( )
( -- despite Mikey claimed to have proof of misquotes !! )
'

Edward Diener No Spam wrote:
smh wrote:
Edward Diener No Spam wrote:

I had never used a DVD Burner before, but decided to by an IDE one from NewEgg.
The DVD is the Samsung TS-H552U OEM version. I installed it on my computer, an
Abit At7, and the BIOS shows it. I booted into Win2k and I can see it in the
Device Manager fine. When I put in a CD or DVD I can read the drive and see the
contents in Explorer. So far, so good. I already checked and I have the latest
firmware for the drive.

I had bought along with the drive Samsung Pleomax DVD-RW 4x DVDs. The drive
specifically states that it supports DVD-RW(4x). I put one of the disks in the
drive and attempt to Burn some files on the DVD. I have never done this before
so assume it should be easy. I tried using two different software programs for
it but one completely hangs and hangs Win2k and the other says it is copy the
image to the DVD but nothing ever happens and the progress bar stays at 0.

snip

The only other possibility that something is wrong is that VIA has a VIA Bus
Master PCI IDE Utility which shows what drives are off of the two IDE channels
of my mobo. When I double-click on this utility in my system tray, no drives are
shown. Maybe this denoted some problem. But like I said, when I look in the BIOS
I can see my drives and Win2k pick them up.

The other possibility is that when I installed this DVD writer I did not remove
my previous DVD-ROM drive because I wanted to make sure this worked first before
I did. Is there a problem having more than one CD/DVD drive under Win2k ? The
software with which I tried to burn the DVD always recognizes the particular
Samsung drive, so I do not think it is getting confused between my DVD drives.

(Don't think the Samsung is defective. Via chipset drivers often cause
problems with optical drives.

That is possible, but I have no problems reading from either drive. Just writing
to the Samsung DVD Writer.

That's a problem, isn't it? I recall a report burning was possible
without error, but the resulting burn gives crc errors when copying to
hard disk. Think that problem was fixed by either installing the latest
Via chipset drivers or replaced with Windows drivers.

Is your Via chipset drivers up-to-date?)

Yes.

Go into the BIOS and double check the DVD drives are listed and set to
Auto or Use DMA.

Listed as Auto

Boot into Safe mode. In Device Manager, remove/delete
all the DVD/CD drives. Reboot and check the drives are running in DMA
mode:

Control Panel - System - Hardware tab - Device Manager) and go into
IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers. Double click "Primary/Secondary IDE Channel"
(the channel the DVD drives are connected to). Then click the "Advanced
Settings" tab

No such thing. Only General, Driver, and Resources when looking at Primary Ultra
DMA Channel properties.

That's the usual location, but not always depending on the system.

and check the Current Transfer mode is DMA for both Device
0 and Device 1.

Where is this ? I do not see it.

There is a Via Bus Master PCI IDE Controller tray icon. Looking at the two DVD
drives on my primary controller their mode is Ultra DMA Mode 2 (ATA 33).

That's the "usual" location for your system. g

Try run Nero "Get System Info" (instead of Test Drive which checks
"disc", not drive). Go thru the tabs and see if anything looks
"unusual". Does the Configuration tab show any? Does the Drive tab
list the Samsung with "(1:0) ..." string?