Old May 11th 05, 12:36 AM
Richard Urban

Did he tell you that?

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

"Michael C" wrote in message
Last night I upgraded a customers machine with new motherboard, cpu,
memory, video card, netcard and soundcard. The only thing that was the
same was the HDD, dvd drive, tape backup and scsi card. I was having
trouble with the internet so I phoned MS to activate XP again. After it
activated I asked him what the limit is to hardware change before XP won't
activate. He said that XP oem has to always remain on the same PC to be
activated. In return I asked "what constitutes the same PC?". He kept
going around in circles and not answering my question and just stating
that it has to always remain on the same PC. He never gave me a definition
of what "same PC" means. In the end I asked if it was more of a policy
than a technical limitation and he said "thank you for calling microsoft
to activate your software" and hung up!

I suspect that means that it can be installed on a completely new machine
and will activate ok. Is that true?